Saturday, February 7, 2015

Do You Have A Vision For The New Year?

By Ann Rosser, Plexus Consulting Group, LLC

How do you know where you are going without a vision? Without a vision, you have no direction – no road map.

A vision reflects purpose, direction and potential. Every vision should honor the past, but prepare for the future. Most importantly, a vision must be “lived”. If your personal or organizational vision is not lived every day in every way, it will be hollow and empty.


“Would you tell me, please which way I ought to go from here?” she asked.
“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” was the reply.
“ I don’t much care where---“ she said.
“Then, it doesn’t matter which way you go.”

- Alice in Wonderland

Creating A Vision
Creating an effective vision is not a simple task. To be effective, a vision should be succinct, clear and exciting. It should guide you or your organization while leaving wide latitude to pursue new opportunities.

Coaches help individuals and organizations create a vision. They serve as a sounding board and ask meaningful and “difficult” questions to get to the honesty and clarity needed for an effective vision.

Since a vision will guide you and/or your company into the future, it is critical that is well crafted and meaningful. To make it powerful and useful, you have to work hard on editing it down to its bare essentials. In other words, it must be boiled down to what is memorable and poignant.

A vision is the first step to leadership. All true leadership begins with self-leadership. Others will not see you as a leader until you see yourself as one. Leadership is not inherited or a personality type –it is a choice.

Ask yourself this question: “What is keeping me from doing, being and giving all that I want and am capable of?”

Stop fearing failure and Just Start ----- Create Your Own Compelling Vision

A thought for reflection:

“I have missed more than nine thousand shots in my career. I have lost almost three hundred games. Twenty-six times I have been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”

- Michael Jordan

No comments: